Monday, September 29, 2008

Pancakes & Plumbing

Steve left on a business trip yesterday. He will be gone until Thursday night. It's always a bummer when he is gone. Other than the fact that it is lonely being a single parent, it also means that I stay up too late (who likes sleeping alone?), something breaks, or I get sick. (Because that only happens when your husband is gone, right?) Since I drove Steve to the airport yesterday, that meant we couldn't have Steve's parents and the college kids over for dinner. My girls are always disappointed when no one comes over for Sunday dinner. They claim they are better fed when company is here. Its probably true. Case in point, I fixed Whole Wheat Pancakes for dinner yesterday. However, they were delicious. We ate them with fresh peaches our neighbor sent over, and whipped cream. I know most people probably have a recipe for Whole Wheat Pancakes, but I will post the one I got from Taylor Cropper (a former member of the Oak Hills 2nd Ward, who now lives in Oregon and is a great cook) on his blog Feed Your Family. Here it is: Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes Put in the Blender: 1 Cup of wheat berries 1/4 cups of water 1/4 cup dried milk Blend for three minutes 1 egg 1 tbsp. honey/sugar 1 tbsp. oil 1/4 tsp salt Blend to combine everything,then add: 1 tbsp. Baking Powder Pulse it a few times. As I mentioned, things seem to only break when Steve is gone. Last night as I was brushing my teeth and washing my face, I noticed the sink wasn't draining. So, I tested the other sink - it wasn't draining either. So like any good wife, I called my husband, who then told me I needed to snake the drain. Ugh! Steve then proceeded to coach me on the phone, while I snaked the drain. (I have seen him do this plenty of times - we do live in an old house - but of course I don't usually pay attention). I snaked it, thought I fixed it. It didn't work. Started to snake again, but this time the pipe that connects to the wall came off! I explained to Steve what just happened. He tells me I have two options: 1) Call a plumber or 2) Wait till I get home. Then he says, "Just wait until I get home." (Steve is a very handy guy, which is something I love about him - he can fix things!) So, for the next four days I will be brushing my teeth in the kitchen sink. And so I won't forget to NOT turn the water on in the sinks, I taped them off. (I tend to forget important things, like - there are no pipes connected to your sink - unless I have a visual reminder.) Plumbing problems always make you appreciate the little things, like running water. Thankfully I can still take a shower! Let's hope I don't get sick!

1 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, I am so sorry! That is such a pain...Curt just had to clean out the sink in the girl's bathroom and it was not a fun task. Thank goodness for able and willing husbands. Hang in there!